Tailored Consulting Services to Support Your Association's Mission
Transform Your Association with AMC’s Experience and Expertise
Our decades of real-world experience working side by side with a range of associations means we understand what works well and what doesn’t. AMC Consulting Services provides objective, practical, and timely approaches that assist healthcare and professional associations in achieving a wide variety of business goals. Elevate your organization to the next level with the customized assistance of our experienced team of association experts.
Board Governance and Leadership Development and Training
Good governance and effective leadership practices are the cornerstone of any high-performing organization. AMC’s rich history has provided extensive experience in how to help associations reach excellence. Through facilitated activities, training, and education, we can help develop your board, staff, and volunteers to enable you to reach new levels of achievement.
Our services in this area include
- Governance Essentials™ (foundational training for staff new to association management or governance)
- governance assessments (includes board self-assessments, competency-based board development and committee selection processes, and aligning bylaws and policies)
- High-Performing Boards™ (key building blocks of excellence in governance)
- Leadership Practices Inventory® 360 (Facilitated coaching and leadership development for staff or volunteer board leaders using the tool developed by Kouzes and Pozner)
- executive leadership development and advising
- board and staff development.
Our Governance consulting is led by Mark Engle, DM CAE FASAE, and Erin Volland, MPA CAE.
Mark Engle is a principal of AMC who specializes in board governance, development, and strategy. A frequent author and speaker on governance, board development, and high performing organizations, Mark regularly develops new research that leads to advancement in nonprofit management.
Future focused, Erin Volland, is a senior consultant who brings more than 15 years of expertise into translating data and leading practices into actionable insights that improve value, growth, and engagement for associations, leading to transformational change.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Training and Consulting
Creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming environment is essential to the success of an organization. AMC supports our association and organizational partners by offering customized DEI training and consulting support to boards, staff, and member groups. Our DEI services can help you identify opportunities to increase diversity, engage in constructive dialogue, implement education and programming, and more.
Our services in this area include, but are not limited to,
- implicit bias and unconscious inclusion training
- glass ceiling and gender bias/gender inclusion training
- competent and diverse board development
- DEI training for managers.
Our DEI consulting is led by senior consultant Debbie Trueblood, MSW IOM CAE FASAE, who focuses on ensuring a judgment-free environment to address these complicated issues, making the subject matter accessible to all in a safe space. Debbie has 20 years of experience in association management with a specialty in helping associations implement diversity programs.
Product Development and Market Research
The creation of programs, products, and services is essential to growth and the advancement of the mission for most associations, and success hinges on an accurate understanding of opportunity and value to the customer.
- market research
- product development (including strategy, development, and assessment)
- member and customer needs assessment (explore program, product, or service opportunities that drive value to constituents)
- gap analysis (identifies weaknesses and opportunities and assesses competitive products and threats).
AMC’s market research is led by Maggie Patterson, research manager, who has been with AMC for 10 years in a variety of marketing-related roles. Her research expertise has allowed us to develop specific surveys related to governance structure, strategic planning, member needs, and volunteer management.
High-performing organizations depend on sound onboarding practices for employee satisfaction and retention as well as achievement of business goals. Association Essentials is a half-day workshop that provides a foundational understanding of associations and the “nuts and bolts" of general association management.
Customized to your organization’s specific edcuational needs and training goals, the workshop typcially covers topics such as
- What an association is and what it does (benefits and programs)
- Nonprofit associations as an industry
- Nonprofit tax distinctions
- What a foundation is and why some associations have established them
- What association governance is
- Conferences and events
- Strategic framework (mission/vision/values)
- Association career paths and industry organizations
AMC consultants employ a data-driven approach to help associations set clear direction and address big-picture challenges.
Our services include
- strategic planning facilitation for volunteer leaders
- implementation planning consultation for staff
- organizational assessments to maximize resources
- structural consultation such as exploring mergers and/or acquisitions, foundation development and strategy, and other organizational spin-offs.
AMC Consulting Services is led by Mike Norbut, MBA MSJ, vice president of business development, Mike has more than 15 years of consulting experience with associations, leading projects for organizations that range in budget size from under $1M to greater than $100M.